Pages

Wednesday 5 February 2014

Dear Lola, 

For 3 years and 3 months of your life, each and every day I would read to you before tucking you under the covers for a midday nap. 

And then 3 years, 3 months and 1 day came along. And as I closed your door like I have done so many times before, and headed to the kitchen to pop the kettle on, just as I was pouring my tea, I turn around and there you are standing right beside me. 
"I'm not very tired anymore".

And just like that, nap time was over and out.

You have been a colossal napper, with your astounding ability to have some shut eye in every situation imaginable. From crocodile riverboat tours in Darwin to the skyline gondolas in Queenstown, New Zealand. From racing tuk tuks and wild animal safari jeep rides in Sri Lanka, where I might add, we experienced torrential rain, severe lightning and the bumpiest of roads. You slept right through it all.

What I'm getting at is that I can't complain one little bit that nap time is out... especially as it's been replaced with rest time.

And as we navigate these new rest time waters, I can't help but laugh.

Deal is, you stay in your room and read stories or play quietly, and you can have your dummies as company.

Deal is, if you leave your room, dummies stay behind and you must play quietly in the living room. 

Naturally, you're testing your boundaries. Quite literally.

 Me - stay in your room lola.
 L - but I am in my room. 

 

Me: Okay, now you're out of your room, and in the hall. Hand over the dummies.


 - Rarrrrrr! (cue - crazy eyes)


It's a work in progress, the days are slightly longer all around, but the extra company's pretty good.


Your mama


1 comment:

  1. I've been following your blog for over a year now and I've never commented. Just wanted to drop some love on your "blog wall". I absolutely love and enjoy every single post. This one especially made my heart smile. What a beautiful little girl your Lola is.

    P.S. Hahaha, I thought it was just in South Africa that we call pacifiers "dummies"!

    ReplyDelete